88% of respondents planning Overlanding trip in next 12 months.
82% to spend on rooftop tents, a rooftop rack, camping gear, suspension upgrades, storage solutions, recovery gear and cooking gear.
CLIFTON PARK, NY (OCT. 30, 2020) – Despite today’s new normal with questions relating to travel, DIY adventurers will take an Overlanding trip in the next 12 months, confirming the appeal of this growing trend combining outdoor travel with social distancing. In the survey fielded this month by Atlantic British Ltd., the largest independent supplier of Land Rover parts and accessories and general Overlanding products, over 88 percent of respondents said they are planning an Overlanding trip within the next 12 months.
The highlights of the survey, fielded from over 1,111 Atlantic British customers October 6-October 12, included the following:
- 93 percent of the respondents said they will consider an Overlanding type trip over a traditional vacation that involves a hotel or resort by air travel
- More than half of the respondents will travel greater than 300 miles
- Nearly one-third (31 percent) plan to cover more than 600 miles on their road trip adventures.
From a product perspective, the Overlanding gear category is equally as strong with an overwhelming number of Atlantic British customers saying they will enhance their vehicles to ensure the best possible experience – 82 percent plan to make Overlanding purchases over the next 12 months. Top planned purchase categories include: rooftop tents, a rooftop rack, camping gear, suspension upgrades, storage solutions, recovery gear and lastly, cooking gear.
“Overlanding is experiencing a consistent upward trajectory because consumers are looking for ways to enjoy the outdoors while observing social distancing,” said Scott Williams, president, at Atlantic British. “For our customers that love to customize their automobiles, hitting the road for long-distance trips is the ideal vacation. To them, the journey is the highlight of the vacation, not necessarily the destination – ideal for today’s evolving travel landscape. Our 50-year heritage enables us to anticipate trends and have a clear pulse on what is driving these enthusiasts.”
Atlantic British is celebrating 50 years in business and is enjoying record sales, attributed to the growing national trend of Overlanding travel. The company’s customers are predominantly male, and most are second owners of Land Rovers or other types of off-road / Overlanding vehicles. A large part of the owner experience and enjoyment revolves around working on their vehicles, installing upgrades and enhancements and custom outfitting.
Iconic products from Atlantic British include the:
- Atlantic British exclusive air-to-coil Suspension Conversion Kits for Land Rovers - an all-inclusive kit that is a cost-effective alternative to worn-out air suspensions, while maintaining ride, height, comfort, and performance and eliminating dashboard errors
- The Clearview Towing Mirrors, the leading line of premium aftermarket towing mirrors
- The Clearview Easy Slide, a slide system providing easy access and storage for portable refrigerators on the road or off.
About Atlantic British: Based in Clifton Park, New York, Atlantic British Ltd., celebrating its 50th anniversary, is a pioneer in Land Rover parts supply, providing the largest selection of premium Land Rover parts at affordable prices. In 1970, Atlantic British opened for business and became North America's first mail-order resource for maintenance parts for Land Rovers. Since then, Atlantic British has found continued success by embracing its three hallmarks of business: having the largest inventory of parts, housing the best technical expertise and providing five-star customer service validated by daily customer reviews.
Meryl Rader, CGPR
Get the ROVERLOG Newsletter Delivered to your inbox
Sign up and receive once every 2 weeks