Southdown Steering Guard for Discovery Series II
Fits: Discovery Series 2 | '99 - '04
8 - 1/2" x 1" Button Head
1 - 1/2" x 4 1/2" Hex Head
2 - 1/2" SAE Washers
9 - 1/2" Nuts
#41 or 3/32" drill bit
Note: above tools and torque apply for kit parts only. Refer to workshop manual for tools required and torque values when removing/reinstalling suspension/chassis hardware.
- Remove 3 self-tapping screw fixing bottom of spoiler to the U-shaped, support tube.
- Remove plastic bumper cover/spoiler to gain access to crush can mounting bolts. These bolts will be used to mount steering guard brackets (and to remount crush cans).
- Remove bolts fixing support tube and remove tube. Retain tube for future return of vehicle to stock condition or discard tube. The brackets WILL NOT FIT unless tube is removed.
- Re-install the top bolts once tube is removed.
- Mount skid plate brackets with tabs facing inwards and torque nuts to 50Nm.
- Refit the bumper cover/spoiler.
- Attach the main skid plate to the brackets using supplied bolts and nuts.
- Drill 3 holes (using old holes on spoiler as template – ref. Step 2 above) into skid plate. Use #41 bit (3/32”). Use supplied new self-tapping screws.
- Check all work. Tighten all fasteners. Do not over-torque.
- Periodically check fasteners for tightness and integrity. This applies particularly during post 4-wheeling inspections. Wash out any accumulated debris/dirt as soon as possible.
- Occasionally it is recommended to wipe the surface of the guard with a light oil to help maintain the appearance and to lubricate fasteners.
Complete Product Instructions List Page