ARB Locking Differential Installation Instructions
Fits: Discovery I | '94 - '99
Discovery Series II | '99 - '04
Range Rover Classic | '94 - '95 | ALL 4 PIN DIFFS SOME 93 LWB ALSO
Range Rover 4.0 (P38) | '95 - '98
Range Rover 4.6 (P38) | '95 - '98
Defender 90 | '94 - '97
Defender 110 | '93 | Front ONLY
- 6. Install Air Locker in differential housing ensuring bearing caps are the correct way around.
Fit bearing cap bolts and finger-tighten. Install standard bearing adjuster nut on ring gear side of differential. Install adjuster nut supplied, with seal housing clamping plate behind on the other end of the differential. Adjust bearing preload and ring gear backlash and then torque bearing cap bolts to vehicle manufacturer's specifications.
- 7. Place seal housing on extended end of differential and align cutout so that the adjuster nut-locking finger can be fitted. Route the copper coated Bundy tubing from the seal housing around the differential and through the tapped hole. Cut the tubing off level with the Blow through to remove all swarf.
- 8. Install two O rings in first and third grooves of cylinder cap leaving the center groove empty. Lubricate O rings generously with oil. Fit the seal housing onto the differential using care to avoid damage to the O rings, ensuring that it is centrally located around the journal. Fasten to clamping plate with three (3) unbrako cap screws using Loctite 290 on threads. Tighten cap screws evenly, ensuring again that the seal housing is central to the differential. Refit adjuster nut locking fingers.
- 9-A. Screw the lower compression nut into the bulkhead body. Screw the bulkhead body into the tapped hole from the OUTSIDE of the housing, feeding the tubing up the inside. Note: To obtain an oil tight seal use a thread sealant on the external thread of the bulkhead body.
- 9-B. Slide the 3/16" (or 1/8") ferrule over the copper coated Bundy tubing. Screw in the central compression nut (making sure that the end with the thread undercut is down) and torque up, ensuring that the ferrule is tight on the tube.
- 9-C. Refer to Compressor fitting instructions for the correct procedure on fitting blue plastic tubing using remaining Bulkhead Fitting components.
- 10. Install differential housing, tail shaft and axles as per manufacturer's maintenance manuals.
- 11. Refill axle housing with good quality differential oil, referring to vehicle manufacturer's specifications for the oil type and quantity.
Although the Air Locker does not require any special gear oil, we recommend using a limited slip differential oil to maximize the life of all differential components.
1 2 3 4
Complete Product Instructions List Page